Home Remedies to Stop Sneezing Naturally at Home
This is a semi-autonomous, abrupt expulsion of air from the lungs via the mouth and nose. It is a multifaceted process that entails the nose, respiratory system, and surprisingly, the brain too. Normally, a sneeze is caused by foreign particles that irritate the nasal mucous membrane. The diaphragm, chest, abdominal muscles, as well as the throat, work together to push out the sneeze. When you sneeze, millions of tiny mucous droplets are pushed out through the nose into the air.
Things You Probably Didn’t Know About Sneezing
How Can I Make Myself Sneeze?
Also read : How to Make Yourself Throw Up
Sneezing helps to eliminate nose irritations. So, if you are experiencing any uncommon nose irritation, sneezing would help to give you some relief. You can trigger your body to sneeze if you have any irritation in your nose. That said, here are some helpful tips on how to trigger a sneeze:
- Tickle your nose: You can tickle your nose with a tissue paper, cotton wisp, or a feather to irritate your nasal passage. The point is to tickle the inner side of your nose until you feel the sneeze coming. Keep in mind that the tissue paper will become wet in the process.
- Sniff a strong spice/Perfume: This is another easy trick that will trigger a sneeze. The best choice is pepper, but you can also try other strong spices like coriander, cumin, or curry powder. It is easy, just open the container and take a whiff of the spice. You can also sniff a strong perfume. Simply spray some on your skin or and sniff it immediately. However, only spray the perfume on your hand if your skin is not sensitive.
- Fake it till it comes: You can also trick your body to sneeze until it naturally eliminates a sneeze. If you are unable to relieve an incoming cold, you can pretend to sneeze loudly until a real sneeze comes out.
- Step out in the cold: During the cold winter season, you can just step out to trigger a sneeze. You can even inhale the cold air from the fridge to help you sneeze. Be aware though that you might catch a cold in the event.
You can also pull out your nasal hair, use a vibrator/massager on your nose, or stimulate the roof of your mouth. Pulling your eyebrows can also trigger a sneeze. Alternatively, pick an old book from the basement and take a sniff of it.
What Happens When You Sneeze
Also read : How To Reduce Stomach After Delivery
It all starts when there is a tickling sensation in the nerve endings, which will then send a message to the brain that it needs to eliminate the irritation from the nose. After the tickling sensation happens, you will take a deep breath and hold it to tighten your chest muscles. The aim here is to provide enough strength to push out the irritation. The air pressure in the lung will increase, your tongue will press against the roof of the mouth, and you will close your eyes. The breath will come out with force and at high speed.
In the process, the blood flow will be affected due to the pressure in the chest, which will then alter the rhythm of your heartbeat, but it doesn’t stop the heart.
10 Home Remedies To Stop Sneezing
When you have consistent sneezing, it can be uncomfortable and annoying too. You might have a cold that causes you to sneeze constantly. So if you want to stop the sneezing, here are some home remedies to help you:
1. Oregano Oil: This oil has some unique antibacterial and antiviral properties, and it is known to be a natural anti-fungal and anti-inflammatory agent. Typically, it helps to relieve the nasal passage and control sneezing.
2. Steam: This is relatively the easiest way to reduce the nasal passage irritations. The point is to inhale the steam to relieve the nasal passage.
How To Use: Boil water and put in a bowl. Put your head over the bowl and cover yourself with a soft towel to trap all the steam. Inhale the steam for about 15 minutes and repeat it twice or thrice each day. Keep in mind that you may feel uncomfortable in the process.
3. Salty Water Rinse: Saline water clears the tiny dirt and dust particles in the nasal passage. It also relieves the mucous membrane.
How To Use: Add one teaspoon of common salt in a glass of warm water. Use a small dropper to squeeze some of the saline water into your nostrils. Ensure that you tilt your head and keep your mouth open as you squeeze the water through the nostrils. Allow the saline water to get through to the other nostril for an effective result. Do this twice every day.
4. Peppermint Oil: This essential oil has strong antibacterial properties that inhibit the growth of virus in the nasal passage.
How To Use: Take some hot water and add a few drops of peppermint oil to it. After that, simply inhale the steam from the blend as you do with the steam remedy. Repeat twice or thrice for a week or so.
5. Ginger: This herb root is also a good remedy for sneezing, and it contains some anti-inflammatory properties. If you have stomach ulcers, ensure that you dilute the ginger juice with plenty of water before you drink it.
How To Use: Take two fresh ginger cloves. Extract the juice from the ginger after washing and peeling it. Take a glass of warm water and add the ginger juice to it. You can also add some raw honey and drink the blend two times every day.
6. Salt: Salt can relieve the pain and irritation in the nose and throat.
7. Lemon Essential Oil: This essential oil has similar effects to the citrus fruits. It contains high levels of minerals and vitamins. Lemon essential oil is a great antioxidant, and it contains detoxifying properties to help solve sneezing.
How To Use: Take a glass of warm water and add a teaspoon of lemon essential oil. Drink this mixture once every day for about a week or until you stop sneezing. You can also sniff it and enjoy the same results.
8. Honey: Honey is naturally warm and plays a good role in solving consistent sneezing.
How To Use: Take a tablespoon of raw honey and put it over heat for about 30 seconds. Add a pinch of black pepper to the honey and consume the mixture. Repeat this twice or thrice each day.
9. Vitamin C Supplementation: Vitamin C supplementation will relieve the irritation that causes sneezing. You can add citrus fruits with vitamin C vegetables to give you a healthy sneeze remedy.
10. Fenugreek Seeds: These seeds have antiviral properties that eliminate sneezing. They also soothe the mucus in the nose canal.
Conclusion and Recommendation:
Sneezing helps to eliminate the viruses and bacteria from the body through the nose. However, it may be dangerous to the people in the surrounding because it can transfer the bacteria through the air. Luckily, you can use the natural remedies to solve sneezing and prevent the transfer or air-borne infections. With every remedy, ensure that you are not allergic to it before you use it.