Did you know that vomiting is healthy for your body? Well, it’s a natural mechanism deployed by your system to eliminate all the toxins and other harmful substances that make you ill.So, next time you experience discomforts and nausea in your stomach, probably after taking a bad meal, ingesting a non-corrosive substance, excess alcohol, etc, consider vomiting to resolve the issue.However, self-induced throwing MUST be conducted with extreme care. Otherwise, it could do more harm than good to you. If you want to discover how to correctly throw up, follow our expert guide below:
How to Make Yourself Throw Up
Also read : Home Remedies for Treating Hives
Again, self-induced vomiting can be a serious issue. If done incorrectly, it could lead to damages to your esophagus and corrosion of your teeth due to the caustic acids from your stomach.
If you’ve taken something that might endanger your health (say food poisoning), a bad meal, or too much alcohol, don’t resolve to vomit immediately. Call your physician or your poison control center first and know whether you can deal with the problem at home or you should see them first.What’s causing your discomforts? Too much medication? Bad seafood? Or something did upset your body? Knowing the cause of your illness is important as your doctor will be able to help you even more.
If your doctor permits you to induce throwing up, there are up to TEN simple and different ways of doing it. We’ll discuss these remedies later in the post.
NOTE: Induced vomiting should ONLY be done when you want to expel something harmful from your body.
Is Forcing Yourself to Vomit a Good Idea?
Also read : What Are the Best way to Lose Face Fat
Yes, it is. Though vomiting naturally is the ideal way to go about it, sometimes you just feel that you want to purge your body of the harmful content giving you discomforts. As long as you force yourself to vomit correctly, you’ll be fine.
When it’s safe to make yourself throw up:
The safest time to induce vomit is when your physician or poison control center allows you to do so. As we did mention earlier, you should always consult your physician first before making yourself throw up.
- 1. If you’ve eaten rotten or spoiled food, it’s safe to induce vomit to get rid of the harmful things making you ill (more so if your body fails to do it naturally).
- 2. Also, it’s relatively safe to force yourself to throw up after you’ve ingested non-corrosive poison heroin, pills, cyanide, among other drugs.
When it’s NOT Safe to Throw Up:
There are some cases when forcing yourself to throw might put you at a great risk. Let’s discuss the DON’Ts of Induced vomiting:
1. Don’t throw up after ingesting corrosive poisons or chemicals. The “American Association of Poison Control” warns against making yourself vomit in such cases until after consulting your poison control center or physician.
The “New Zealand National Poisons Center” (NPC) also advises against making yourself throw up after ingesting toxic substances. This is based on the following reasons:
- -throwing up corrosive content e.g. gasoline, bleach severely damages your digestive system and airways.
- -vomiting isn’t an effective method to remove such poison from your stomach
- -it might interfere with more effective treatments
- -Poison might shift to your lungs as you try to induce vomiting
- -stomach contractions during vomiting increase the rate of absorption of the poison in your body.
2. Acid Liquids such as pesticides, bleach, and acids. Throwing up such substances results in chemical burns in your mouth, throat, and esophagus.
3. Petroleum products such as kerosene, gasoline, solvents, paint thinner, etc. If you vomit after taking such substance, chances are high that they’ll reach your airways and cause tears and burns in your mouth, throat, and esophagus.
4. Solid/sharp objects including buttons, coins, rings and toys. Apart from getting stuck in your airways, these objects might make cuts, scratches, and injuries to your throat.
5. Frothing substances such as detergents, soaps, and shampoos. Such substances are lightweight, and if you try to throw up, they’ll make their way to your lungs and airways and cause burns and inflammations.
6. Pregnant women too shouldn’t induce throw up to avoid dehydration which might deprive the unborn important nutrients if done regularly.
Throwing Up to Lose Weight, Should I Try It?
Sadly, NO. Some folks have been drawn to the misconception that induced vomiting is an effective way to shed some pounds. This is totally wrong. Actually, the practice might make you gain weight with time, according to Bulimia Help (http://www.bulimiahelp.org/articles/does-throwing-make-you-lose-weight).
The fact that you’ll experience initial weight loss when vomiting is because your body becomes dehydrated (which is impossible to maintain).
According to a study carried out at “Pittsburgh Human Feeding Laboratory”, making yourself throw up as a method of losing weight is highly ineffective.
Surprisingly, inducing vomiting to lose weight can subject you to bulimia, an eating disorder associated with severe malnutrition, teeth corrosion, and even endangering your life!
10 Ways to Make Yourself Throw Up
Assuming that your physician or poison control center has given you a go ahead, use the following effective methods to induce vomiting.Note that most of these methods cause vomiting instantly while others work in the shortest time possible.
1. Use Emetics
Emetics medicines are specially designed to help induce vomiting. Ipecac syrup is among the most common emetics. Simply mix it with water and swallow it in a single, long gulp. The emetic tablet is also available. The medicines work by causing discomforts in your stomach, making you nauseous, and causing your stomach to contract, resulting in a throw-up.
Important note: Keep in mind that taking emetics have some side effects such as a headache, low blood pressure, fast heartbeat, etc.
2. Drink Mustard Solution
Don’t have emetics on hand? No worries. A mustard solution is also a great remedy. Give its unappetizing effects, drinking the solution will make you want to throw up. To make a mustard solution, simply mix a tablespoon of mustard with a cup of warm water.
It’s also good to note that this solution takes between 20-30 minutes and might not work for some people.
3. Use Your Toothbrush
The general idea behind using your toothbrush to help you vomit is by triggering the gag reflex. To do this, you just need to wet the bristles of your toothbrush and rub it against the back of the tongue (where it makes you gag). Ensure you clean your toothbrush thoroughly afterward or even replace it with a new one.
4. Drink Coca-Cola
You might have heard that the bubbles in Coca-Cola help treat an upset stomach. The opposite is also true- drinking flat coca-cola (without bubbles) makes you feel sick and want to vomit. Take a glass of this drink every hour and follow it up with water for the best results.
The method is highly effective in the case of food poisoning.
5. Use Your Fingers
Much like the toothbrush remedy, using your fingers is all about creating a gag reflex that makes you vomit. The task is as simple as pushing your finger at the back of your tongue until you experience the need to gag. Now push further- an intense nausea sensation will build up. Remove your fingers quickly as vomiting is imminent.
Remember to wash your hands afterward.
6. Drink Warm Salt Water
True. Warm salt water also helps induce vomiting. Mix 3 teaspoons of salt with a 16oz. glass of warm water, stir vigorously and drink as quick as possible. The mixture works like the mustard solution and takes up to 30 minutes for possible results.
If it fails to work, deploy your fingers (as explained above) to speed up the process.
7. Try Bloodroot Herb
Bloodroot, a herb common among the American Native cultures, induces nausea and vomiting. You just need to mix the powder with some water and drink it as fast as you can.
Word of Caution: Bloodroot is highly toxic when taken in large doses and causes serious problems such as foot pain and tunnel vision. It’s, therefore, advisable to consult your doctor before trying it out.
8. Watch Someone Throw Up
Watching someone else throw up is disgusting. But again, it triggers a similar response in your body. You can watch online videos of people throwing up. This might not always work but when it does, it works instantly.
9. Gargle with the Egg White
This is based on the fact that smell and taste of raw eggs white are highly unbearable to most people. Therefore, if you gargle the white parts of around 2-3 eggs, a demand to gag will appear sooner than you think. The method takes time and effort but it’s worth a try.
As you know, overeating will push your stomach to its limit, making it find a way of reducing the excessive content. Thus, vomiting will surely show up. While still at it, avoid taking unhealthy and fast foods for this remedy as this might lead to stomachache and digestive issues.
Also read : How to Make Yourself Sneeze
What to Do After You Vomit?
Right after a successfully induced vomiting, you don’t stop there. Do these things to help your body, and particularly your digestive tract, recover from the vomiting effects:
1. Start by rinsing your mouth with plain water to get rid of stomach acids from your mouth as they might corrode your enamel.
2. Rehydrate your body by drinking water in small amounts. Other alternatives include lemon water, sports drinks, ginger ale, etc.
3. Eat bland foods. After regaining your appetite, eat bland foods e.g. rice water, banana, oatmeal, puddings, yogurt, soups, etc.
4. Drink herbal teas such as ginger, chamomile, citrus fruit, fennel, Mellissa tea, etc. These are great at improving the digestion as well as protecting the digestive tract.
5. You also need to rest and give your body enough time to recover. Remember that throwing up makes you lose nutrients as well as fluids. Giving your body sufficient time to heal is thus important.
Induced vomiting can be a good practice to expel the harmful substances you might have ingested. But you should do it only after consulting your medical care provider.In this post, we’ve shared the most effective methods to help you throw up as fast you need to. After vomiting, remember to take the steps we’ve discussed above.
NEVER use induced vomiting as a weight-loss method. If you do want to lose weight click here to learn how garcinia cambogia and apple cider vinegar can help you achieve goals.